Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Last day of school....

So my middle child seems to be a magnet for disaster.  5th grade and her just don't seem to get along.  She has become so self conscious and worried about how her hair looks, what kind of clothes she is wearing and do her shoes match her outfit.

 Early in the year I had to take her a change of clothes because someone accidently poured their carton of chocolate milk all over her.  And heaven knows a 5th grader just can't go about getting an education with chocolate milk on her shirt!  I walk into the office and she is in tears over having to wear chocolaty clothes.  I help her change and send her back to learning about fractions.

    About 2 months ago I got a call in the middle of the day that she had a rash and could I please bring some anti-itch cream for her.  Again I walk into the school office and find her in tears over having to face her friends with a rash on her face (mind you the rash was very faint, I couldn't really even tell it was there)

  Yesterday was the official last day of the 2010-2011 school year.  Around 340pm I get a call from her school. She gets off the bus here about 350 everyday so I was immediately thinking she must have missed the bus.  The secretary tells me that she has been hit by a backpack and her nose is bleeding and do I want her to ride the school bus home.  Being the ever loving mother that I am I ask "Is it really that bad?"  As soon as it comes out of my mouth I imagine the secretary's horrified facial expression.  Like is this mother for real? Well, yes the secretary says it's pretty bad and still bleeding actually.  So I gather my stuff and head out the door toward the school.  I get there and I am not kidding there are like 6 teachers and the principal all hovered over her patting her and telling her it will be ok.  I look down at her blood covered shorts (they were white, of course)  and start feeling really bad.  She starts crying and I give her a hug and we both say aloud how glad we are that 5th grade is finally over! Turns out this kid that accidently knocked her in the face with his backpack also ran her over outside earlier in the day while they were playing kick ball....umm now I'm really glad 5th grade is over.

She will be starting middle school in the fall and I pray that these years go by very uneventful for her.  If not I may just wrap her in bubble wrap and send her off to 6th grade.   She could start a new fashion trend!

BTW the nose is fine.... a little swollen and red, but don't tell her that!

1 comment: