Saw this post by
Pioneer Woman Cooks on making homemade doughnuts and I started reminiscing about making doughnuts with my mom. So I decided that while waiting on the 8-12 more inches of snow to arrive tomorrow we would make homemade doughnuts. So I printed out the recipe, made my list and treked out to the grocery store to get the essential items. All the while I am envisioning the perfectly round glazed doughnuts to be devoured later. In typical Deanna fashion (not reading the entire recipe) I dug in and began the process. (by the way, try explaining how yeast works to a 9 year old when you don't really understand it yourself!) Kaycee and Baylee were so excited until I read the part where you have to let the dough sit in the refridgertor over night. Talk about a let down. The girls were so bummed out that we couldn't eat doughnuts right away. Then I remembered I had two containers of cresent rolls in the fridge. So we rolled the cresent rolls out and cut them into doughnut shapes and fried them up

Turns out the cresent rolls are a pretty good substitute!
The glaze was just amazing! (and so easy!)
The girls certainly enjoyed them
In the end- a win/win situation...we get to eat semi-homemade doughnuts tonight AND make some real homemade doughnuts in the morning.
Anytime there's doughnuts in a day.....it's a good day!
You know a woman made an entire food network show off of semi-homemade. Can you bring some over please? Thanks for participating. Twice.
ReplyDeleteI saw that on PW!!! They look AWESOME!! I have purchased yeast before but I've never actually used it before it expired....And Dayna, I would like to participate but I am too dumb to do a blog. But you did inspire me to cook - I made PW's French Breakfast Puffs today - easy & yummy.
ReplyDelete